Which kind of New Jersey Cannabis Micro Business are you applying for?
Learn more about the New Jersey Cannabis Cultivation License
Learn more about the New Jersey Cannabis Manufacturing License
Learn more about the New Jersey Cannabis Retail License
The Cannabis Regulatory Commission (CRC) is making microbusiness licenses available for smaller cannabis operators. As of the creation of this webpage on 9/11/21, applications are not yet available, but we know from the rules published on August 19th, 2021 that all types of applicants (micro business and full sized, conditional and annual) will be required to submit SOPs and Operating Plans, including the following:
The SOPs and Plans are not required until you are ready to convert your Conditional Cannabis License to an Annual License. In other words, within 120 days of submitting for your conditional cannabis license, you will need these plans.
What is a Cannabis Microbusiness License?
New Jersey is allowing smaller business operators to go through a simplified process to get licensed. A micro business cannabis license is one that has limits on business size. It can have no more than 10 employees, no more than 2500 square feet of facility floor space and can produce or sell no more than a certain amount of cannabis each month. For dispensary microbusinesses, there’s a limit of 1000 lbs of sales per month. For manufacturing microbusinesses, there’s a limit of 1000 lbs of processed cannabis biomass per month.
For micro business cultivators, they can have no more than 1000 plants per month on the premises, but they can have up to 2500 square feet of canopy if they stack it no more than 24ft in height. This clearly encourages vertical LED growing, up to 3 levels high.
What should I do to get ready for a micro business application?
These are the steps from the Rules about all the information you must gather for your initial new jersey microbusiness application:
(a) A conditional license applicant shall submit a complete, separate application for each cannabis business license requested and for each physical address and cannabis business premises at which a license applicant seeks to operate.
(b) A license applicant shall disclose and submit, as part of the conditional license application, the following submissions for the Commission’s evaluation:
- The mailing and physical address of the license applicant’s proposed cannabis business premises;
- The federal and State tax identification numbers for the license applicant;
- Documentation of a valid Business Registration Certificate on file with the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services in the Department of the Treasury;
- Information about the license applicant entity, including its legal name, any registered alternate name under which it may conduct business, and a copy of its articles of organization and bylaws;
- The business plan and management operation profile for the proposed cannabis business;
- The plan by which the license applicant intends to obtain appropriate liability insurance coverage for the proposed cannabis business;
- A regulatory compliance plan, which shall detail the plan by which the license applicant shall comply with the remaining regulatory requirements to convert to an annual license.
- An affidavit that the statements included in the application are true and correct, sworn by the license-holder representative;
- An authorization to release all information pertaining to the license-holder as requested by the Commission, signed by the license-holder representative; and
- A waiver of liability for any damages results to the license-holder from any disclosure or publication in any manner, other than a willfully unlawful disclosure or publication, of any information acquired during the Licensing process, signed by the license-holder representative.
- Any applicable fees required by N.J.A.C. 17:30-7.17; and
- Any other application requirement established by the Commission in a Notice of Acceptance of Application published in the New Jersey Register issued pursuant to N.J.A.C. 17:30-6.1.
(c) A license applicant shall disclose and submit, as part of the conditional license application, the following submissions relating to qualification, pursuant to N.J.A.C. 17:30- 7.4:
- List of all owners, principals, and employees of the license applicant, including their names, addresses, dates of birth, resumes, and a photocopy of their driver’s licenses or other state or federal government-issued form of identification which may be used to prove each person is at least 21 years of age;
- List of the owners of the license applicant who have resided in this State for at least two years as of the date of the application, and documentation of such residency;
- List of the owners of the license applicant and the percentage of each owner’s ownership interest;
- List of any proposed management services contractors, financial sources or vendor-contractors;
- Personal history disclosure forms for any owners, principals, financial sources or management services contractors of the license applicant, as applicable;
- Entity disclosure forms for any owners, principals, financial sources or management services contractors of the license applicant, including entity formation documents, any proposed or signed management services or financial source agreements, and tax returns, as applicable;
- Proof that each owner of the conditional license applicant who has decisionmaking authority has, for the immediately preceding taxable year, an adjusted gross income of no more than $200,000 or no more than $400,000 if filing jointly with another;
- A certification that each owner of a license applicant applying for a conditional cannabis business license who has decision-making authority does not have any ownership interest in a license applicant applying for or license-holder holding an annual cannabis business license;
- For each owner, principal, or employee of a license applicant or license-holder as well as each staff member of a license applicant’s or license-holder’s management services contractor that participates in the obtaining, possession, securing, cultivating, manufacturing, transporting, selling, delivering, or destroying cannabis items, written consent to be fingerprinted and to undergo a criminal history record background check and any evidence of rehabilitation pursuant to N.J.A.C. 17:30- 7.12;
- For each owner, principal, and employee of the license applicant, certification confirming the person’s submission to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State and pledging to comply with all of the requirements of the laws of the State pertaining to the Commission;
- For a license applicant that is a diversely owned business, the certification that the license applicant is one or more of a minority business, women’s business, or disabled veterans’ business, as applicable;
- For a license applicant that is an impact zone business, evidence from any qualifying owner, passive investor, or employee proving the qualification of the person under the impact zone business criteria pursuant to N.J.A.C. 17:30-6.5;
- For a license applicant that is a social equity business, evidence from any qualifying owner or passive investor attesting to the qualification of the person under the social equity business criteria pursuant to N.J.A.C. 17:30-6.6; and
- For a microbusiness license applicant, proof that at least 51% of the total number of persons included in the microbusiness license applicant or license-holder, including all owners, principals, and employees, are residents of either of the municipality in which the microbusiness is or will be located, or of a municipality bordering such a municipality, at the time of the application.
Contact Us today if you’d like to get a previews of the Plans and SOPs we have available.